Former n cricket vice-captain fears his international career may be finished. Former n cricket vice-captain David Warner fears his international career may be finished.
A distraught David Warner fears his international career is over because of his “inexcusable” role in cricket’s ball-tampering scandal and is considering retirement.
Warner revealed during a press conference in Sydney on Saturday that he was weighing up whether or not to to attempt to return following his 12-month ban handed down by Cricket .
The former vice-captain admitted he faced a long road back from the scandal which has rocked the game to its core.
“In the back of my mind I suppose there is a tiny ray of hope that I may one day be given the privilege of playing for my country again, but I am resigned to the fact that that may never happen,” Warner said.
Asked if retirement was an option, Warner, 31, said: “That’s something that I will continue to sit down with my family and weigh up all my considerations before I make any decisions.”
Warner and axed captain Steve Smith received one-year suspensions for their role in the affair while batsman Cameron Bancroft has been banned for nine months.
Addressing the media for the first time since Bancroft was caught tampering with the ball during the third Test against South Africa in Cape Town last week, Warner said he took responsibility for his actions.
“To all ns, whether you’re a cricket fan or not, I apologise for the impact those actions have had on our country’s reputation,” Warner said, fighting back tears.
“I’ve only ever wanted to bring glory to my country through playing cricket.
“I failed in my responsibilities as vice-captain of the n cricket team.”
But Warner frustrated reporters and a nation demanding answers by repeatedly deflecting questions about whether any teammates outside the banned trio knew of the cheating plot or whether he had tampered with the ball on previous occasions.
“I am here to talk about the part I played in this. It’s inexcusable. I am sorry,” Warner said.
“In the coming weeks and months, I’m going to look at how this happened and who I am as a man.
“I will seek out advice and expertise to help me make serious changes.”
Warner’s wife Candice sat in the back of the Cricket NSW amphitheatre and was clearly emotional as Warner fielded answered questions about the saga for the first time.
He refused to call himself a scapegoat after being fingered as the architect of the plot.
Asked whether South African wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock’s remarks about his wife and other taunts from sections of the hostile crowds played a part in his decision to engage in ball tampering, Warner said: “It’s tough for me to talk about where my thought space was on that day given the circumstances that happened in Durban but I’m here to take full responsibility of my actions of the part that I played on day three in Newlands.
“I am extremely sorry and I really, really regret it. It’s a decision that will stick with me for the rest of my life.”
The 31-year-old’s bans will cost him millions of dollars, with his $2.4 million IPL contract torn up, as well as lucrative sponsorships.
But Warner indicated he had accepted Cricket ‘s 12-month ban and said he supported the governing body’s probe into the culture of the n team.
When asked if he was surprised by the furore that had erupted and whether he had misjudged the mood of the nation, Warner said: “I’m not surprised at all.
“We let our country down. It was a bad decision, I played my part in that.
“It’s going to take a long time to earn respect back from the public.”